2019-2020 Chesapeake College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Liberal Arts and Sciences A.A. Degree (200)
This program of study meets all the General Education Requirements at Chesapeake College.
Award: Associate of Arts Degree
Program Mission: The Chesapeake College Liberal Arts and Sciences Degree program provides students with transfer requirements for liberal arts and sciences majors at four-year institutions.
Program Description: The Liberal Arts and Sciences Degree curriculum is an ideal choice for students preparing for most careers requiring graduate or professional training, as well as for those interested in further study in specific arts and sciences fields. Students should acquaint themselves with the requirements of the major department at the college or university to which transfer is contemplated and consult with an academic advisor or discipline faculty in planning an appropriate program. The College’s Transfer Advisor can provide additional information regarding the transfer requirements of institutions within the University of Maryland System. The Liberal Arts & Sciences Programs offer examples of recommended program and free electives that will complement the Liberal Arts and Sciences Degree.
Program Goals: The Liberal Arts and Sciences Degree program will:
- Facilitate proficiency in content knowledge and skills for each of the College’s general education competencies.
- Provide students with a broad education in the disciplines that form the foundation of human knowledge.
- Prepare students for transfer to a four-year institution.
Student Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply the fundamental principles for effective and appropriate communication, including reading, writing, speaking, and listening.
- Analyze the arts and humanities in historical and cultural context.
- Explain the process of scientific reasoning and apply scientific principles.
- Apply critical and analytical thinking skills in problem-solving.
- Explain and accurately perform mathematical operations to demonstrate problem-solving skills.
- Analyze social science or history methodologies and explain the causes and consequences of human actions.
Related Programs: The College offers two Transfer Certificates designed for students who intend to transfer to a four-year institution prior to completion of a degree program at Chesapeake College. In addition, Letter of Recognition programs are offered in Basic Chemistry, Biology, Communications, General Science, Geography, Music, and Mathematics. These programs serve to acknowledge a student’s success in a focused area of study and can be used as building blocks toward completion of a certificate or degree program.
Students who complete the A.A. Degree in Liberal Arts & Sciences may be eligible to transfer into Salisbury University’s Bachelors Degree programs in Interdisciplinary Studies or Social Work offered through the Eastern Shore Higher Education Center. Students interested in the Bachelors of Social Work should follow the Liberal Arts & Sciences (200) program and work with the College’s Transfer Advisor in selecting appropriate courses. For more information, contact the Executive Director for the Center at 410-827-5761.