2019-2020 Chesapeake College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
General College Studies A.A. Degree — Area of Emphasis in Allied Health (120)
This program of study meets all the General Education Requirements at Chesapeake College.
Award: Associate of Arts Degree
Program Mission: The Chesapeake College General College Studies — Allied Health Area of Emphasis Degree prepares students for transfer to a four-year institution.
Program Description: The Allied Health Area of Emphasis program is designed for students who plan to complete a baccalaureate degree program in an allied health field. Among the allied health fields appropriate to this program are nursing, dental hygiene, pre-med, physical therapy, and radiologic sciences. Students should acquaint themselves with the requirements of the major department at the transfer institution and consult with the College’s Admissions Office or the Nursing and Allied Health Advisor in planning an appropriate program. The College’s Transfer Advisor can provide additional information regarding the transfer requirements of institutions within the University of Maryland System.
Program Goals: The Allied Health Area of Emphasis Degree program will:
- Facilitate proficiency in content knowledge and skills for the College’s general education competencies.
- Prepare students to enter a bachelor’s degree program in areas such as nursing, dental hygiene, pre-med, physical therapy, and radiologic sciences.
Student Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Conduct research about medical topics.
- Evaluate data gleaned from laboratory experiments and scientific studies.
- Draw conclusions based on experimental data.
- Write effectively using medical terminology and reflecting the appropriate application of human anatomic and physiologic principles.
- Apply the scientific methods to study the human body.
For More Information, Contact:
Ms. Lorraine Holden, Nursing & Allied Health Advisor
Dorchester Building, Room D-139
410-822-5400, ext. 2203