Program Mission: The Chesapeake College Criminal Justice Certificate prepares students for entry or advancement in the field of criminal justice. The certificate is designed so that students may progress to the Criminal Justice Degree option.
Program Description: The Criminal Justice program provides a broad foundation that will help prepare the student for entry-level employment or advancement in the field of criminal justice. The program is designed to prepare and/or upgrade students in areas such as: criminal justice, techniques of criminal investigation, principles of criminal law, law enforcement administration, corrections, criminology and fieldwork. Note: Completion of this program is not a prerequisite for entry into a police academy nor does it provide complete entry-level training for work as a local or state police officer. Students should consult with the College’s Admissions Office or an academic advisor in planning an appropriate program.
Program Goals: The Criminal Justice program will:
- Emphasize criminal justice content, professional knowledge and ethical responsibility.
- Prepare students for successful careers in criminal justice and further study in the field.
Student Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Implement terminology in the criminal justice system.
- Use an ethical framework and an understanding of legal constraints to make decisions as a criminal justice professional.
- Identify various types of crimes, their defenses and various methods of investigation.
- Apply critical thinking skills and logic to analyze and solve a variety of complex problems in the criminal justice environment.
- Differentiate the roles of the various individuals within the criminal justice system and how an individual moves through the system.
Gainful Employment Information
This program has been approved for funding under the Workforce Investment Act. For more information, contact the Upper Shore Workforce Investment Board at: 410-822-1716.
Contact Person: firstname.lastname@example.org