This program of study meets all the General Education Requirements at Chesapeake College.
Award: Associate of Arts Degree
Program Mission: The Chesapeake College Liberal Arts and Sciences Degree program core provides students with transfer requirements for liberal arts and sciences majors at four-year institutions. The program offers areas of emphasis in Biology, Chemistry, Communications, Fine and Performing Arts, Humanities, Mathematics, and Social Sciences.
Program Description: The Liberal Arts and Sciences Degree core curriculum is an ideal choice for students preparing for most careers requiring graduate or professional training, as well as for those interested in the liberal arts and sciences. Within the degree program are several suggested areas of emphasis which reflect a pattern of courses for students wishing to concentrate in Biology, Chemistry, Communications, Fine and Performing Arts, Humanities, Mathematics, and Social Science. However, the courses listed under these Areas of Emphasis are not required for graduation unless designated as Liberal Arts and Sciences Program Requirements as listed below. Students should acquaint themselves with the requirements of the major department at the college or university to which transfer is contemplated and consult with the College’s Admissions Office or an academic advisor in planning an appropriate program. The College’s transfer advisor can provide additional information regarding the transfer requirements of institutions within the University of Maryland System.
Program Goals: The Liberal Arts and Sciences Degree program will:
- Facilitate proficiency in content knowledge and skills for each of the College’s general education competencies.
- Provide students with a broad education in the disciplines that form the foundation of human knowledge.
- Prepare students for transfer to a four-year institution.
Student Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply the fundamental principles for effective and appropriate communication, including reading, writing, speaking, and listening.
- Analyze the arts and humanities in historical and cultural context.
- Explain the process of scientific reasoning and apply scientific principles.
- Apply critical and analytical thinking skills in problem-solving.
- Explain and accurately perform mathematical operations to demonstrate problem-solving skills.
- Analyze social science or history methodologies and explain the causes and consequences of human actions.
Areas of Emphsis: Students may select an Area of Emphasis in Biology, Chemistry, Communications, Fine & Performing Arts, Humanities, Mathematics, or Social Science (see following pages for further explanation). Students who are uncertain of their A.A. program of study or baccalaureate plans are encouraged to follow the Liberal Arts and Sciences core requirements in consultation with a college advisor. Note: One year of language is recommended for the Humanities or Social Science Areas of Emphasis if required by the receiving institution and if Chesapeake offerings are applicable to the student’s career goals.
Contact Person: Mrs. Maureen Conlon
Students who complete the A.A. Degree in Liberal Arts & Sciences may be eligible to transfer into Salisbury University’s Bachelors Degree programs in Interdisciplinary Studies or Social Work offered through the Eastern Shore Higher Education Center. Students interested in the Bachelors of Social Work should follow the Liberal Arts & Sciences (200) program and work with the College’s Transfer Advisor in selecting appropriate courses. For more information, contact the Executive Director for the Center at 410-827-5761.