2016-2017 Chesapeake College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Paralegal Studies A.A.S. Degree (620)
This program of study meets all the General Education Requirements at Chesapeake College.
Award: Associate of Applied Science Degree
Program Mission: The Chesapeake College Paralegal Studies Degree provides students with the legal knowledge, skills and practice to prepare for employment as paralegals or in other areas related to the practice of law.
Program Description: The Paralegal Studies program was designed to prepare students for employment as paralegals or in other areas related to the practice of law, including criminal law, torts, family law, property law, etc. Some of the expected tasks for a paralegal are assisting with title searches, legal research, drafting legal documents, pleadings, and litigation support. Students should consult with the College’s Admissions Office or an academic advisor in planning an appropriate program.
Program Goals: The Paralegal Studies Degree program will:
- Facilitate proficiency in content knowledge and skills for the College’s general education competencies.
- Promote technical competency, professional knowledge and ethical responsibility.
- Prepare students for successful careers or for further study in the paralegal field.
Student Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply appropriate industry terminology in the legal setting.
- Demonstrate legal skills and knowledge while working under the supervision of an attorney.
- Conduct legal research using both traditional and electronic methods.
- Prepare legal documents.
- Communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, in the legal environment.
- Evaluate professional responsibilities concerning ethical issues that may be present in a legal environment.
Contact Person: Ms. Bridget Lowrie