2017-2018 Chesapeake College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Computer Information Systems Degree A.A.S. - Digital Administrative Assistant Area of Concentration (432)
This program of study meets all the General Education Requirements at Chesapeake College.
Award: Associate of Applied Science Degree
Program Mission: The Chesapeake College Computer Information Systems Degree provides graduates with the preparation to work in a variety of business settings with a skillset grounded in computer technology associated with web page design, social media interaction, and project management. The areas of concentration in Web Design Specialist, Social Media Specialist, or Digital Professional Assistant further allow students to specialize their skillset.
Program Description: The Digital Administrative Assistant Area of Concentration is designed for individuals who wish to gain an in-depth training in modern administrative skills and communication technology that will allow them to work at the executive level within an organization. Digital administrate assistants have a well-rounded approach to all aspects of administrative assisting, including a combination of clerical, technological and management duties. Administrative assistants with associate’s degree are often the first to advance in the office to higher positions, such as executive administrative assistant, office manager, video and/or web-conferencing coordinator, and technology coordinator. Students should consult with the College’s Admissions Office or an academic advisor in planning an appropriate program.
Program Goals: The Digital Administrative Assistant Area of Concentration will:
- Facilitate proficiency in content knowledge and skills for the College’s general education competencies.
- Promote technical competency, professional knowledge and ethical responsibility for functioning in the business world.
- Enable qualified graduates with work experience to meet the educational requirements for professional certification as a Certified Administrative Professional through The International Association of Administrative Professionals.
- Prepare students for successful careers or for further study in the field.
Student Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Develop and coordinate the day to day operations of a business using state of the art technology.
- Develop and coordinate methods for storing, retrieving and integrating information for dissemination to staff and clients.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of standard office hardware and software.
- Prepare statistical reports and graphics presentations.
- Apply appropriate industry terminology and practices in a professional setting.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of organizational skills, the ability to multitask, formal communication skills, a polished appearance, and good interpersonal instincts.
Contact Person: Ms. Lanka Elson