This program of study meets all the General Education Requirements at Chesapeake College.
Award: Associate of Applied Science Degree
Program Mission: The Chesapeake College Hotel and Restaurant Management Degree provides students with the knowledge and skills necessary for entry-level or mid-management positions in the hospitality industry. Through the use of elective courses, students may concentrate in the areas of food service/restaurant management or hotel/resort management.
Program Description: The Hotel/Restaurant Management Degree program includes instruction in many areas required for competence in the hotel, restaurant, and tourism industry. The curriculum includes technical courses in food service and hotel/restaurant management; related courses in marketing, accounting, and human resources; and general education requirements. Instruction will include both theoretical concerns and practical application procedures necessary for success in the field. Students should consult with the College’s Admissions Office or an academic advisor in planning an appropriate program.
Program Goals: The Hotel/Restaurant Management Degree will:
- Facilitate proficiency in content knowledge and skills for the College’s general education competencies.
- Promote technical competency, professional knowledge and ethical responsibility.
- Provide students with basic knowledge and understanding of the hospitality industry including hotel, restaurant, and tourism.
- Provide students with a general understanding of business, marketing, and human resource skills.
- Prepare students for successful careers in the hospitality industry or for further study in the field.
Student Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply appropriate industry terminology in the hospitality, hotel, restaurant, and tourism setting.
- Evaluate professional responsibilities concerning ethical issues that may be present in a hospitality environment.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of personal and customer safety issues.
- Articulate the components of a successful management development program.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the areas of financial management in the hospitality industry.
Contact Person: Rita Mielke