This program of study meets all of the General Education Requirements at Chesapeake College.
Award: Associate of Arts Degree
Program Mission: The Chesapeake College Health, Fitness and Exercise Science Degree — Sport Management Area of Concentration provides students with the knowledge and skills to prepare for transfer to four-year colleges and universities to complete a baccalaureate degree in sport management.
Program Description: The Sport Management Degree Area of Concentration is designed to prepare students for transfer and eventual employment in the field of sport management. Students majoring in sport management are prepared for careers in a wide variety of sport settings, including but not limited to recreation management, the fitness industry, collegiate and professional sports, facility and event management, community relations, and retail marketing. The major is an interdisciplinary program that combines required coursework in sport management with courses from other academic disciplines. Students should consult with the college’s Transfer Advisor in planning an appropriate program.
Program Goals: The Sport Management Degree Area of Concentration will:
- Facilitate proficiency in content knowledge and skills for the college’s general education competencies.
- Introduce the fields of sport management.
- Prepare students for further study in the sport management field and for a potential business minor at the baccalaureate level.
Student Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate professional behaviors and decision-making capabilities that allow for the effective implementation of sports management.
- Apply knowledge of principles, concepts, and theories in the practice of sports management.
- Use effective verbal and non-verbal communication skills in working with individuals in sports management fields.
- Document information pertaining to sports management using appropriate written expression.
Contact Person: Dr. Carol Wilson-Robbins