PROGRAM MISSION: The Chesapeake College Theatre and Performance Studies Certificate program is designed for students who seek a career in the performing arts or who wish to transfer to a four-year institution.
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: The Theatre and Performance Studies Certificate is designed for students who would like to pursue a career in the performing arts as a technician, performer, writer, researcher, entrepreneur, or arts manager. Students should consult with an academic advisor in planning an appropriate program.
PROGRAM GOALS: The Theatre and Performance Studies Certificate program will:
- Facilitate proficiency in content knowledge and skills for technical theatre and theatre performance
- Provide students with a broad understanding of performance theory, theatre history, and dramatic literature.
- Prepare students to transfer to a four-year institution pursuing a degree in theatre.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES: Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Read, analyze, and write about performance effectively.
- Demonstrate basic performance skills in scripted classical and contemporary dramatic literature as well as improvisation and devised performance.
- Demonstrate basic theatre production skills in stage management, lighting, costuming, set construction, and properties construction.
- Communicate a broad, interdisciplinary understanding of performance theory, theatre history, and dramatic literature.
- Communicate a comprehensive understanding of professional theatre practices, techniques, and professional roles.
CONTACT PERSON: Dr. Robert Thompson