2017-2018 Chesapeake College Catalog
Computer Information Systems A.A.S. Degree - Social Media Specialist Area of Concentration (433)
This program of study meets all the General Education Requirements at Chesapeake College.
Award: Associate of Applied Science Degree
Program Mission: The Chesapeake College Computer Information Systems Degree provides graduates with the preparation to work in a variety of business settings with a skillset grounded in computer technology associated with web page design, social media interaction, and project management. The areas of concentration in Social Media Specialist, Web Design Specialist, or Digital Administrative Assistant further allow students to specialize their skillset.
Program Description: The Social Media Specialist Area of Concentration is designed for individuals who are looking to gain in-depth knowledge of social media so they can control social media to build and extend brand awareness, better service current customers, and leverage social media for new customers. Students will develop skills and knowledge in social media strategy, measurement, and analytics. After completing this program, individuals will be prepared for roles such as Social Media Specialist, Digital Media Project Manager or Online Community Manager. Students should consult with the College’s Admissions Office or an academic advisor in planning an appropriate program.
Program Goals: The Social Media Specialist Area of Concentration will:
- Facilitate proficiency in content knowledge and skills for the College’s general education competencies.
- Promote technical competency, professional knowledge and ethical responsibility for functioning in the business world.
- Enable qualified graduates to meet the educational requirements for professional certification in Social Media Marketing.
- Prepare students for successful careers relating to social media or for further study in the field.
Student Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Create interactive media and social media content in line with industry standard web-authoring technologies including HTML and CSS.
- Use social media content to target and attract online communities and spread messaging to a new group of customers.
- Develop skills and knowledge at the forefront of new media technologies.
- Develop modern marketing strategies while upholding best practices.
- Apply appropriate industry terminology in the social media professional setting.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the history, theory, technology, impact and strategic uses of social media.
Contact Person: Dr. Lanka Elson