This program of study meets all the General Education Requirements at Chesapeake College.
Award: Associate of Applied Science Degree
Program Mission: The Chesapeake College Engineering Technology Degree — Drafting and Design Area of Concentration provides students with the skills needed for employment or advancement in architecture, drafting and design, electronics, manufacturing, or the building trades.
Program Description: The Drafting and Design program is designed to provide a strong general education background, as well as skills needed for employment or advancement in industry or government working with architects, designers, and engineers. The curriculum has been developed and maintained in cooperation with local area manufacturers, architectural and construction companies, and organizations. Students should consult with the College’s Admissions Office or an academic advisor in planning an appropriate program.
Program Goals: The Drafting and Design program will:
- Facilitate proficiency in content knowledge and skills for the College’s general education competencies.
- Promote technical competencies, professional knowledge, and ethical responsibilities.
- Introduce manufacturing and engineering concepts.
- Prepare students for successful careers in drafting and design or for further study in the field.
Student Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply appropriate industry terminology in the engineering technology setting.
- Apply current technologies available in areas such as architecture, drafting and design, electronics, manufacturing, and the building trades.
- Interpret and create drawings (both manually and electronically) for various engineering disciplines.
- Understand and demonstrate the use of industry standards.
- Identify professional responsibilities concerning ethical issues that may be present in an engineering environment.
- Demonstrate the proper use, care, maintenance, and safety aspects of various tools and equipment used in the many areas of engineering and manufacturing.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the causes of accidents, methods of preventing accidents, personal protection, OSHA and MOSHA rules and regulations.
Contact Person: Ms. Courtney Sykes