Program Mission: The Chesapeake College Teacher Aide Certificate offers comprehensive instruction and training for individuals who assist classroom teachers. The certificate is designed so that students who successfully complete the program are eligible to continue in an Associate of Arts in Teaching degree program.
Program Description: The Teacher Aide Certificate program provides students with the knowledge and skills to work effectively with children under the supervision of the classroom teacher. Students in the program must earn a “C” grade or better in all required courses. The Teacher Aide Certificate option is designed to allow students to enter the workforce as teacher aides or to continue their education in the Associate of Arts in Teaching Degree program. Students should remain current with the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 and pending changes in the Maryland Elementary and Secondary Education Act. Students should consult with the College’s Admissions Office or an academic advisor in planning an appropriate program.
Program Goals: The Teacher Aide Certificate program will:
- Provide students with knowledge and skills to work effectively with children under the supervision of the classroom teacher.
- Prepare students for entry-level employment as teacher aide/paraprofessionals or for further study in the field.
Student Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of this program students will be able to:
- Describe and apply basic theories and principles of child development and learning.
- Apply developmentally appropriate approaches to enhance the learning and development of children.
- Use systematic and effective observation, documentation, and assessment strategies in observing and working with children.
- Be reflective practitioners.
Gainful Employment Information
For More Information, Contact:
Dr. Deanna Reinard
P.O. Box 8, Wye Mills, MD 21679
410-822-5400, ext. 2313.
For additional educational opportunities related to this field, see the College’s Associate of Applied Sciences Degree program in Early Childhood Development and the Associate of Arts in Teaching degree in Elementary Education or Early Childhood Education .