Program Mission: The Chesapeake College Legal Studies Certificate provides students with the legal knowledge, skills and practice to prepare for employment as paralegals or legal assistants. The certificate is designed so that students may progress to the Legal Studies Degree.
Program Description: The Legal Studies Certificate is designed for students who already have an Associate of Arts or Associates of Science or Bachelor’s of Arts degree or Bachelor’s of Science degree and offers an accelerated course of study allowing students to complete the certificate in as little as one year with proper advising. The program includes those courses which are specific to the duties and responsibilities one would perform as a paralegal. Students should consult with the College’s Admissions Office or an academic advisor in planning an appropriate program.
Program Goals: The Legal Studies Certificate program will:
- Promote technical competency, professional knowledge and ethical responsibility.
- Prepare students for entry-level employment in the paralegal studies profession or for further study in the field.
Student Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic concepts of substantive and procedural law.
- Perform the duties of a paralegal in the public and private sector or in a position relating to t the practice of law.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ethical obligations and legal limitations of the paralegal in the public and private sector.
Gainful Employment Information
Contact Person: Ms. Bridget Lowrie