Jul 18, 2024  
2015-2016 Chesapeake College Catalog 
2015-2016 Chesapeake College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Grading Policies

Grading System

Grade Standard Grade Points
A Superior 4
B Good 3
C Average 2
D* Pass without recommendation 1
F Failure 0
I Incomplete None
L Audit None
N Withdrew, first 3 weeks of class None
R Re-Enroll None
T Temporary/Crosses over semesters None
W Official Withdrawal None
A “D” grade in any developmental course does not permit progression into the next course. In addition, the “D” grade is not a passing grade in some of Chesapeake College’s Allied Health programs. Please check individual programs for more information.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

GPA is computed using the value of quality points. To compute a GPA multiply the number of semester hours of credit by the appropriate number of quality points A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0. Example: for each three-credit course in which an “A” grade is earned, three credits times four quality points equal 12 total quality points earned. The grade point average is then computed by dividing the total quality points earned in all semesters at Chesapeake College by the total number of semester hours for which a grade of A, B, C, D, or F is recorded, except when courses are repeated.


A student may drop a course only after making a written request by the date listed in the College’s Academic Calendar and after receiving approval on the Drop/Add form available from the Office of Registration and Records. Failure to attend class without complying with this procedure will result in a failing grade.

A student who has registered for an undesired class may drop the class and add another one during the first week of classes in keeping with the scheduled last day for adding a course for credit.

A student who wishes to reduce their course load after they have officially registered may do so. Consult the Academic Calendar for the last day to drop.

There will be a charge of $5 for each Drop/Add form processed beginning the first day of classes.

NOTE: Students receiving financial aid should remember that reducing or increasing academic load hours may affect financial aid awards. Students must consult with the Financial Aid Office before dropping or adding courses.

Mid-term Grades

The temporary grades of “S” (Satisfactory) and “U” (Unsatisfactory) are entered at the middle of the term to indicate whether students are making satisfactory or unsatisfactory progress. Mid-term grades are not mailed but are available on MyCampus/CRAB, located through the College’s Website at: www.chesapeake.edu.

Grade Reports

College students are expected to assume responsibility for the quality of their work on a continuing basis. Instructors and advisors will welcome discussions with students regarding the student’s progress. At the end of each semester, a complete report of that semester’s grades is available on MyCampus/CRAB, located on the College’s Website at www.chesapeake.edu.

Please note: Any student with an outstanding debt to the College must clear all charges before the semester’s grades will be released to the student.

Audit (“L”) Grade

An audit student may enroll in any Chesapeake College credit course without receiving credits or grades and without completing assignments. The student is expected to attend classes and participate fully in class. The student receives a grade of “L” (Listener) for the course.

Incomplete (“I”) Grade

The grade of “I” (Incomplete) may be granted IN CASES OF EMERGENCY after receipt of the student’s written request to the instructor and after approval on an official “Permission to Receive Incomplete Grade” form, signed by the Vice President for Student Success. The request must be submitted prior to the beginning of final exams and is subject to the approval of both the instructor and the Vice President. An “I” grade which is not removed within four weeks after the beginning of classes for the next regular semester converts to an “F” grade.

Temporary (“T”) Grade

The grade of “T” (Temporary) will be used only in circumstances when a course is scheduled to extend beyond the traditional term ending date and an “I” grade is not appropriate. The grade of “T” remains only until the class is officially completed.

Official Withdrawal (“W”) Grade

The grade of “W” (Withdrawn) will be recorded only when the student executes and files an official “Drop/Add Form” in the Office of Registration and Records within the deadline for dropping courses that is listed in the College Academic Calendar in this Catalog. The grade of “W” is not computed in the grade point average. Any course dropped after the deadline or without compliance with this procedure will be recorded as “F” on the student’s official record.

Change of Grade

Only the assigned instructor is authorized to assign or change a grade. Once a grade has been submitted and verified to the student’s record, an instructor may change the grade if warranted by submitting a Change of Grade Form to the office of registration. Appropriate documentation must also accompany the form.

A request for a change of grade must be initiated by the student within one calendar year from the time the original grade was posted to the academic record.

Withdrawal from College

If a student, for valid personal reasons, is forced to withdraw from the College or to reduce their course load after the expiration of the withdrawal period, they may submit a request for withdrawal to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

To obtain a late withdrawal, written notification of intention to withdraw from the College, together with reasons for this decision, must be furnished to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The College does not recognize requests for withdrawal during the exam period.

Students formally withdrawing from the College must complete an exit interview with a member of the Student Success staff.

Grades in Developmental Courses

All students who take developmental courses must pass them with a grade of “C” or better in order to progress to the next developmental level or into regular college-level courses in the same discipline.

Transfer with the Grade of “D”

According to Maryland transfer policies, the grade of “D” is sometimes acceptable for transfer credit. If the course fulfills a General Education requirement, the course will transfer with a “D” even if the overall average is not a “C”. However, the student’s grade point average at Chesapeake at the time of graduation must average a 2.0 GPA when considering the “D” transfer. Normally, all students contemplating transfer should familiarize themselves with the transfer policies of the colleges they are considering.

See Addendum, Appendix 1  for Maryland Higher Education Commission Student Transfer Policies.

Also, review the State General Education Student Transfer Policy information, Addendum, Appendix 1 .

Request for Recalculation of Grade Point Average due to Change in Curriculum Policy

Chesapeake College recognizes that students may not perform well in their program of study due to a variety of reasons. To encourage students who have changed programs of study and may be adversely affected by past academic performance, they may request all credits be removed from their grade point average for courses no longer applicable to their new program. All courses that fulfill a General Education requirement in the student’s new program of study are not applicable to this policy. Courses will still appear on the students’ official transcript and are marked with an asterisk. Students may not request academic amnesty more than once.

Consideration will only be given to currently registered students and the request must be made before a graduation application is submitted. Also, the student must be in a different program of study and have earned at least 12 credits with a grade of “C” or better for the courses in their new program.

Refer to the full procedure documented within “Important Forms” on the website, in the “Request for Recalculation of Grade Point Average” http://www.chesapeake.edu/forms/RequestForRecalcGPAFORM.pdf form.